Substance abuse is the misuse of alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs, prescription drugs, and other substances (such as paint thinners) that change how the mind and the body work.
Consequences of substance abuse
- Negative impact on relationships
- Financial, legal and social problems
- Interferes with work
- Serious health issues such as mental illness, cancer, etc.
- Detrimental to mission readiness
- Organ damage
- Hormone imbalance
- Prenatal and fertility issues.
Say no to substance abuse…Say yes to life
Avoid the following substances in your life
What to do to stop substance abuse
- Effectively deal with peer pressure: find a better group of friends that wont pressure you into doing harmful things, or a good way to say no.
- Deal with life pressure: find other ways to handle stress and unwind e.g. exercise and massage
- Seek help for mental illness: trained professionals can help i.e counseling
- Keep a well balanced life: look at life’s big picture, and have priorities in order.
- Examine the risk factors